Wednesday, December 9, 2015

As the Crow Flies

The other day, we were at anchor below the Heflin lock, and I started wondering how much further we had to go.  We were sitting at mile 266 on the river, which means we have 266 miles to go before we reach Mobile.  I pulled out the gps, and I measure the straight, as the crow flies, distance to Mobile.  It was 147.5 miles.  So, if I was on I-65, we'd be there in two hours.  Instead we have about a week to go.  That's all good, cuz here on Tatiana, we go with the flow, not with the crow.   So, I thought I'd share some of the highlights of our river turns.

Anyone know a good short cut?


Which way is south again?



And my favorite, old man river...



So, I'm sorry that the images in this update are only screenshots.  The images in real life are actually less interesting.  From an engineering and commerce standpoint, the Tenn-Tom waterway is quite a marvel, but less so from an aesthetic standpoint.

As I type this, we are just over a hundred miles to Mobile, and we are both really excited about turning our boat back into a sail boat and bringing her back to salt water!!!
\


3 comments:

  1. Getting close that's great, it will not be long until you smell the salt. Great to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope y'alls trip is going well! Gulf in sight yet?

    Jeri
    "Sailboat Tasman"
    SailOn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope y'alls trip is going well! Gulf in sight yet?

    Jeri
    "Sailboat Tasman"
    SailOn

    ReplyDelete