Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Stepping the mast part 2: the new rigging

So, I don't have any pictures of me actually assembling or measuring the rigging.  The measuring part was important, since I try to follow the adage "measure twice and cut once", especially with expensive steel wire.  I ended up carefully laying the old rigging beside the new rigging and marking each one to length to copy what had been the rigging.  Cutting was another fun project, going through four hacksaw blades to finally cut through all that stainless.  Assembling them, I found the following website quite useful.  It was a trick to get the right amount of calk so that it filled the fitting and actually oozed out the top, but didn't go crazy.  It was a good thing that I had eleven pieces to get that procedure down pat.  Here is what it looked like all rigged and ready to stand up.

By the way, all that packing on the ends was just to keep from scratching the shiny new fittings against each other and the ground while we installed the mast.  We learned that from the yard that unstepped the mast, and it worked quite well for this application, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment